The city of Sibenik was mentioned for the first time in the 11th century. However, archaeological traces indicate the human presence in this area in Neolithic.
Entrance to the city from the sea side has been possible only through a narrow sea channel. This extremely favorable geographic position have made Sibenik one of the naturally most protected harbours in the Adriatic, and therefore, very attractive for many invaders.
Various rulers have changed throughout the centuries - from Hungarian-Croatian to Byzantine, but the longest and the most influential rule was Venetian, from the 15th until the 18th century.
After the Venetian fall in 1797, Sibenik became a part of the Habsburg Monarchy until 1918, with the exception of the brief French rule during that period.
Sibenik Cathedral - extremely beautiful Cathedral of St. James is a three-naved basilica built in the 15th and the 16th centuries. This impressive monument of Renaissance architecture has been recognized as UNESCO's World Heritage site since 2000.
The City Hall - this remarkable building, a valuable monument of the high Renaissance style, was built in the 16th century. It is located on the northern side of the main city's square, right opposite the Cathedral of St. James
Fort of St. Michael - the Fort of St. Michael dominates the horizon above the city. It was built of white cut stone from the 15th until the 17th century.
Fort of St. John - great and mighty fortification complex was built above the city in the 17th century as a protection against frequent Turkish attacks. In 1647, the Fort was a venue of tough battle against Turks, when Sibenik was defended successfully after the one-month siege.
Subicevac Fort - another imposant fortress, built the same time as the Fort of St. John to help defence of Sibenik. It is easily approachable by foot and provides the spectacular view of the town, the Channel of St. Anthony and the rest of the Sibenik archipelago.
Four wells - the four wells are situated on the plateau near the Cathedral of St. James. The city water tank was located under the plateau in the 15th century, in order to counteract the frequent water shortages during the Turkish attacks. Water was drawn from these four wells.
The underground space is today used as a wine bar, as well as ingenious multimedial showroom, that presents the riches of Sibenik cultural heritage.