Due to its favorable geographic position and natural features, Tucepi area has been inhabitated for almost four thousand years. First inhabitants, the old Illyrians, named their settlement as village close to the source, and today's name Tucepi has derived from Illyrian descriptive name.
Because of the constant threath of various conquerors, residents had mostly lived in scattered hamlets in the hilly slopes of Biokovo mountain.
In the 18th century, they started to migrate lower to todays Tucepi resort, adjacent to the sea.
After the earthquake in 1962, majority of people has left their damaged stone houses in the hills and built new, concrete structures on the coast.
There are several sites, including remains of prehistoric forts, Ancient shrines, Medieval churches with cemeteries and so called Turkish castles to testify on long history of the area.
Prehistoric sites -
Gradina, Gomile and Gradac are remains of the old Illyrian fortified complexes, once well hidden shelters in the hills for livestock breeders.
Take a visit to learn more and enjoy the spectacular view of Tucepi's coastline.
Turkish castles - from the late 15th to the late 17th century, the area was under the Turks, until Venetians took over. Remains of 3 castles made of stone blocks are found in Upper Tucepi. There are also contours of abandoned settlement with houses constructed in a massive drywall.
Church of the Little Lady - the church with its old cemetery was built in 1703 near the sea. It was badly damaged in the earthquake in 1962, but has been restored in the following years.
According to a local legend, the Venetian Doge, Pietro Candiano, who was killed in a naval battle near Tucepi, was buried here.
Church of St. Anthony - the Neo-Romanesque church with beautiful marble altars, stained glass windows and the organ was built at the begining of the 20th century.