The island of Brac had been inhabitated for sure since Neolithic, while some researches show that people had lived there during Mesolithic too.
The first inhabitants were Illyrians. In the 9th century, the Croats from the mouth of the Neretva river had migrated and settled in this area.
As a locality, Bol was mentioned for the first time in church records in the 12th century. The first mention of Bol as a settlement dates from 1475, when the prince Zacharia donated the Glavica Peninsula to Dominicans and that act was recorded in the deed of donation.
Throughout the centuries of turbulent history, Bol and Brac have had many different rulers. Because of the important strategic position in the Adriatic sea, Brac was a target to number of invaders, including the Byzantines, Venetians, Hungarians and even Omis pirates.
Inhabitants of the island were mostly engaged in agriculture - fishing, growing olives and producing wine, but they were also famous for shipbuilding. In the 17th century, Bol had fifteen patented ships, built in its own shipyard. Due to that, in the 18th century, Bol became the third naval force of Croatian side of the Adriatic, right after Boka and Losinj.
After the fall of Napoleon and the French withdrawal from this area in 1814, the Austrians took over. They divided the island into seven districts, with the Bol district among them.
Dominican Monastery - the monastery was built on the Glavica Peninsula in the 15th century. The monastery museum contains valuable treasures, including collection of prehistoric displays, numismatics collection, old mass vestments, as well as precious incunabulum and other old books.
Dragon's Cave - the cave preserves prehistoric artworks, drawings carved in rock. Most of those drawings present figures from pagan mythology, including dominating figure of the dragon.
The miniature church located in the cave was used as a habitat and temple for Glagolitic priests in the 15th century. Invaluable monument of Croatian culture, the Glagolitic incunabula printed in 1483, was found in this cave.